TOPEKA — The 1st Judicial District Nominating Commission has sent the names of four nominees for district judge to Gov. Jeff Colyer, who has 60 days to decide who will fill the vacancy created by the June 16 retirement of Judge Gunnar Sundby.
The 1st Judicial District is composed of Atchison and Leavenworth counties.
The nominees are:
- Terri L. Harris, Basehor, attorney and partner, Harris & Henderson.
- Michael G. Jones, Lansing, assistant county attorney, Leavenworth County.
- Gerald R. Kuckelman, Atchison, county attorney, Atchison County.
- Joan M. Lowdon, Bonner Springs, deputy county attorney, Leavenworth County.
Nominees for district judge must be:
- at least 30 years old;
- a lawyer admitted to practice in Kansas and engaged in the practice of law for at least five years, whether as a lawyer, judge, or full-time teacher at an accredited law school; and
- a resident of the judicial district at the time of taking office and while holding office.
The 1st Judicial District Nominating Commission consists of Justice Eric Rosen of the Kansas Supreme Court as the nonvoting chair; Ronald Bates, Leavenworth; Julie Clem, Atchison; Lois Meadows, Tonganoxie; Rosemary Nies, Atchison; Mark Preisinger, Leavenworth; Kevin Reardon, Leavenworth; Todd Thompson, Basehor; and Douglas Waters Jr., Lansing.