Print Page | Contact Us | Sign In | Register
News & Press: General

KBA and KLS partner to provide legal aid to returning veterans

Wednesday, November 5, 2014   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Beth Warrington
Share |
The withdrawal of troops in Afghanistan and Iraq is bringing thousands of service members home, many returning to face difficult changes, stressful family conditions and in some cases, legal issues that developed during or post-deployment. The Kansas Bar Association and Kansas Legal Services are partnering together to provide legal assistance to those returning from deployment.

The KBA and KLS are asking attorneys to consider presenting a legal clinic or workshop at military events, or to provide pro bono or reduced-rate legal advice or representation to service members and veterans. From now until Veterans Day, the KBA and KLS are holding a campaign for volunteers.

Current research shows that only 37 percent of our military families live on installations while the remaining 63 percent live in over 4,000 communities nationwide. Kansas is home to thousands of veterans and active duty soldiers, and these men and women may need to turn to local sources for help with legal challenges, which have unique implications due to military life – employment, child custody and veteran benefits.

If you are a Kansas legal professional, please visit to sign up to help those who have honorably served us.