Changing Minds Inside and Out of the Courtroom
Presented by Steven Hughes
How would you like to snap your fingers and instantly judges, jurors, and clients would agree with your position? It may not be that easy, however you can dramatically improve your chances for success if you understand how people make decisions and what causes them to act. Influence is a dynamic CLE program that draws on the latest scientific research to illustrate how you can ethically influence clients, colleagues, and members of the court to see things your way—all without resorting to manipulation. Best of all, you'll leave this session with practical ideas you can apply right away.
Specifically, you will be able to:
- Discover the two elements you must have to win over any skeptical mind.
- Utilize the four key drivers of persuasion to gain acceptance of your arguments and ideas.
- Examine what the Code of Professional Responsibility has to say about how to remain above reproach when seeking to influence others.
- Overcome the common mistakes most lawyers make when trying to change people’s minds.
- Leave much of the conventional wisdom about influence behind (most of it doesn’t work anyway).
Steve Hughes is President Hit Your Stride, LLC, a communications consultancy that helps people look and sound smart when they talk. He is the author of Captivate: Presentations That Engage and Inspire and he has been featured on NPR, CBS, and BBC Radio and in The Wall Street Journal and Businessweek. He is also the proud creator of “International Be Kind to Lawyers Day,” which is observed annually on the second Tuesday in April. Today he works with a short list of blue chip clients including AmLaw 200 law firms, national associations, and leading universities. Prior to launching Hit Your Stride, Steve was the co-owner of an award-winning 50-person advertising agency in St. Louis where he delivered hundreds of presentations with millions of dollars on the line. He holds a BA in French Literature and European History from the University of Kansas and an MBA in Marketing from Washington University in St. Louis, where he was awarded the prestigious Olin Cup.
Approved for 1.0 hour of CLE credit including 1.0 hour of Ethics & Professionalism in Kansas and Missouri.
Click here to register. Please note there will be no refunds for canceled or missed programs.
The cost of registration for webinar: