Kansas Supreme Court Motions Attorney Position Vacancy Posting
Wednesday, June 08, 2016
Posted by: Meg Wickham
KANSAS JUDICIAL BRANCH
NOTICE OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Date: June 3, 2016
Location of Employment: Kansas Supreme Court
Kansas Judicial Center
301 West 10th
Topeka, KS 66612-1507
Classification and Salary: Supreme Court Research Attorney II
$57,531 to $63,455 commensurate with experience
Example of Job Duties: This is highly sensitive and confidential professional legal work performing legal research and other professional legal services. Work involves the performance of legal services included in the management of motions and other court filings for justices of the Kansas Supreme Court on matters before them. Work is performed under the general supervision of the chief justice and is reviewed through conferences or written reports. Incumbent serves at the pleasure of the chief justice.
Examples of work performed:
· manages all court motions and original actions, recommends appropriate action, and prepares proposed orders
· prepares legal memoranda for some motions and original actions
· performs jurisdiction checks and recommends appropriate action, when necessary
· manages motions for summary disposition of sentencing appeal and prepares proposed orders
· prepares legal memoranda on petitions for review
· performs related and other work as required
Required Education and Experience: Graduate of an accredited law school. Two years or more experience as a licensed attorney.
Necessary Knowledge and Abilities:
· considerable knowledge of one or more phases of law as required by the assigned duties
· knowledge of general law, state laws, established precedent and sources of legal reference
· knowledge of court procedures and rules of evidence
· ability to apply legal principles and specialized knowledge to individual cases and problems
· ability to analyze, appraise, and organize facts, evidence, and precedent concerned in assigned cases and to prepare written memoranda
Preferred Experience: Appellate practice or prior motions and petitions for review experience preferred but not required.
Necessary Special Requirement: Must be an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Kansas or, at hiring, have applied to take the next Kansas Bar exam or for admission pursuant to Rule 708 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of the State of Kansas.
Applicant should send a cover letter, a Judicial Branch employment application - available here: http://www.kscourts.org/pdf/application.pdf - a resume, and a writing sample of 5 to 10 pages to Nancy Pressgrove at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301 W. 10th, Room 337, Topeka, KS 66612-1507.
Application Deadline: June 13, 2016
The Americans with Disabilities Act ensures your right to reasonable accommodations during the employment process. A request for an accommodation will not affect your opportunities for employment with the Judicial Branch. It is your responsibility to make your needs known to the Judicial Branch. Please contact Patricia Henshall at 785-296-2877.
THE KANSAS JUDICIAL BRANCH IS AN EEO/AA EMPLOYER