The 2016 KBA Awards have Been Announced!
Monday, May 02, 2016
The Kansas Bar Association announces its awards for excellence in the profession and in service to the judiciary and the public.
Each year the Kansas Bar Association, acting on nominations from its membership, the bar at large, and the judiciary, recognizes judges, attorneys, and organizations who have served the profession and the public with excellence and have dedicated themselves to the advancement of the profession and the public good. This year’s awards and recipients are:
View Past Recipients
- Phil Lewis Medal of Distinction for outstanding and conspicuous service by an individual or organization, awarded to the Wichita Bar Association for its "Clean Slate Day” program.
- Distinguished Service Award for continuous long-standing service to the legal profession or public, awarded to Hon. Karen Arnold-Burger, Judge of the Kansas Court of Appeals, Topeka.
- Professionalism Award recognizing an exemplar of the highest professional standards, to Otis W. Morrow, Arkansas City.
- Distinguished Government Service Award recognizing Kansas attorneys or judges who have demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to government service, to Hon. Dale L. Somers, US Bankruptcy Judge, Topeka, and Robert W. Parnacott, Assistant County Counselor, Sedgwick County, Wichita.
- Courageous Judge Award for a judge who has displayed exceptional courage in the face of adversity, to Hon. Larry T. Solomon, Chief Judge 13th Judicial District, Kingman.
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award recognizes the efforts of KBA YLS member who has rendered meritorious service to the legal profession, the community, or the KBA to Christine C. Campbell, Kansas Legal Services, Wichita and Shawn P. Yancy, Kansas Department of Labor, Topeka.
- Diversity Award recognizes an individual who has shown a continued commitment to diversity, this award goes to Kellie E. Hogan, Kansas Legal Services, Wichita.
- Outstanding Service Awards are given for the purpose of recognizing lawyers and judges for service to the legal profession, and/or the KBA and to recognize non-lawyers for especially meritorious deeds or service that significantly advance the administration of justice. The 2016 Outstanding Service Awards go to Susan A. Berson, Berson Law Group, Overland Park; J. Brett Milbourn, Walters Bender Strohbehn, Kansas City, MO; Joseph N. Molina III, Kansas Bar Association, Topeka; C. Stanley Nelson, Hampton & Royce, L.C., Salina; Shelley Sutton, Kansas CLE Commission Executive Director, Topeka; and Melissa A. Wangemann, Kansas Association of Counties, Topeka.
- Pro-Bono Awards recognize a lawyer or law firm for the delivery of direct legal services free of charge for those who need access to justice. This year’s recipients are: Jill Bremyer, Adoption Law LLC, McPherson; Debra Egli James, Hampton & Royce, L.C., Salina; and Summer Ott-Dierks, Seaton, Seaton & Dierks, LLP, Manhattan.
- Pro Bono Certificates will be awarded to: Deena H. Bailey, Cargill Meat Solutions Corp, Wichita; The Law Offices of Barber Emerson, L.C., Lawrence; Mitchell B. Christians, Salina; Angela Ferguson, Austin & Ferguson L.L.C., Kansas City, MO; Joni J. Franklin, Franklin Law Offices, Wichita; Thomas C. “Tim” Owens, Overland Park; Cheryl A. Pilate, Morgan Pilate LLC, Kansas City, MO; and Andrea Rothers-Boden, Jurado Graham Immigration Attorneys, Kansas City, MO; Nancy Ulrich, Lawrence; Samara Zaman, Felton & Zaman LLP, Shawnee
- And the Robert K. Weary Award recognizes lawyers or firms for their exemplary service and commitment to the goals of the Kansas Bar Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Kansas Bar Association. The 2016 Robert K. Weary Award will be given to Mike Crow, Crow & Associates, Leavenworth.