Each webinar is approved for 1.0 hour of non traditional CLE credit in Kansas.
Tuesday, October 27 - Part 1
This program will cover the important features for conducting "private” offerings with general solicitation and general advertising under Rule 506(c) of Regulation D. In particular, the program will include:
- What are the best practices in conducting Rule 506 transactions with general solicitation?
- How does the possibility of general solicitation affect the marketing of Rule 506 offerings?
- What is the role of brokers and other intermediaries in Rule 506(c) offerings?
- What is the impact of Rule 506(c) on angel and crowdfunding markets?
- What practices are developing in terms of diligence and recordkeeping for verification of institutional and individual accredited investors, including use of third-party verification?
- Bad Boy Rules-Disqualification of Felons and other "bad actors” from Rule 506 Offerings
Wednesday, October 28 - Part 2
This program will cover the latest information on crowdfunding. This includes:
- Who can be an issuer under the current crowdfunding rules?
- How much capital can the issuer raise?
- Who can act as an intermediary for a crowdfunding transaction?
- What is a funding portal?
- How does the funding portal operate?
- What are the restrictions on a funding portal?
- What are some of the serious duties imposed on a crowdfunding intermediary?
Howard Z. Gopman
Howard Z. Gopman & Associates, LTD
Suite 300, One Northfield Plaza
Northfield, Illinois 60093
Seasoned attorney with sophisticated and high quality experience in securities, commercial real estate, and corporate law. Mr. Gopman has held the highest possible
Martindale-Hubbell peer review Rating AV Preeminent for over twenty
- Served as securities counsel in both real estate and oil and gas private placement programs. Also did cattle and other types of private placements, including corporate start-ups. Acted as counsel in SCOR and Reg. A offerings. Engaged in SEC and Blue Sky counseling and litigated and counseled as to federal and state securities law investigations and complaints. Counsels and defends FINRA Broker-Dealers
- Acted as counsel in the formation, operation, and administration of hundreds of corporations and other business entities, including general partnerships, limited partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Negotiated, structured, and drafted hundreds of corporate agreements, including shareholder, buy-sell, asset and stock purchase, distribution, franchise, partnership, and many other agreements used in a corporate or other business entity setting.
Real Estate Matters:
- Acted as counsel in all types of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions, sales and commercial lease transactions. Types of properties acquired and sold in which this attorney acted as counsel are office buildings, self-storage facilities, manufactured housing communities, apartments, and groups of single-family homes.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Trial Attorney Federal Trade Commission Washington D.C.
- Attorney Quinn, Jacobs, Barry & Foster Chicago, Illinois
- Attorney Katz, Karacic & Mansfield Chicago, Illinois
- Attorney Mickelson & Marder Chicago, Illinois
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE: Wisconsin and Illinois
- Juris Doctor, University of Wisconsin; Honors: Tuition Scholarships
- Master of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
- Honors: Appointment as Non-resident Scholar; top ten percent of class
- Major: Finance, Banking and Investments
- B.S., University of Wisconsin Honors: Non-resident tuition scholarships, top fifteen percent of class; Major: Economics
- Member, AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
- Member, ILLINOIS STATE BAR ASSOCIATION, Member of Corporation and Securities Law and Real Estate Law Sections; Member of Corporation and Securities Law Section Council
- Hearing Officer: Illinois Office of Education
- Licensed Real Estate Broker: Illinois
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- National Futures Association
- Circuit Courts of Cook and Lake Counties, Illinois
- Resolute Systems, Inc.
- ADR Systems of America, LLC
- "Estate Planning and Living Trust Seminar” authored by Howard Z. Gopman
- "How to Make Money in Real Estate Syndication After Tax Reform”, a two-day professional seminar authored by Howard Z. Gopman
- Roosevelt University Chicago, Illinois: Corporation Law
- Real Estate Education Corporation, Chicago, Illinois: Real Estate Law
- Person-Wolinsky C.P.A. Review Course, Chicago, Illinois: Business Law
RESEARCH AND WRITING
- Publications: See Appended Publications List
- Master Thesis: Current Regulatory Problems of Investment Companies
- Served as the law columnist for Metro Chicago Real Estate, the largest circulation real
- estate newsweekly in the country
CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION
- Fred Lane’s Trial Technique
- Seminars in corporate, anti-trust, franchising, real estate, real estate syndication, and
- federal tax law
Howard Z. Gopman
"Fraud Enforcement and Recovery Act of 2009”. Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum: ISBA. (May, 2010).
"Decision explains policy as to enforcement of restrictive covenants in employment agreements.” Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum: ISBA. (August, 2008).
"Selling securities is a serious business” Oil & Gas Financial Journal (January, 2006).
"Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals upholds the use of FLP against IRS attack” Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum: ISBA. (December, 2004).
"Seventh Circuit decision discusses "deferral” of information as violation of 10b-5.” Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum: ISBA. (February, 2002).
"Offshore trust upheld by Second Circuit.” Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum: ISBA. (April, 2001).
"Joint Ventures Can Be Profitable Alliances for Some.” Illinois Business. (3rd Quarter, 1997).
"The new Illinois small company offering registration (SCOR)." Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum: ISBA. (May, 1997).
"U.S. Supreme Court curtails the use of RICO against accountants." Corporation, Securities & Business Law Forum: ISBA. (May, 1993).
"Attorney's Right to Sue for Retaliatory Discharge." Corporation and Securities Law: ISBA. (October, 1990).
"Illinois Act Eliminates Surprise of Environmental Problems." Manufactured Home Merchandiser. (July, 1990).
"A Sloppy Contract May Doom the Sale." Metro Chicago Real Estate. (August 11, 1989).
"Franchise Disclosure Act of 1987." Corporation and Securities Law: ISBA. (December, 1988).
"Attorney Howard Z. Gopman Discusses Ramification of New Tax Reform Act and Upcoming Seminar which will Explain Labyrinthine Aspects of History-Making Bill." Real Estate Magazine. (October 24, 1986).
"Book Review of `How to Evaluate Real Estate Limited Partnerships'." Real Estate Magazine. (May 9, 1986).
"Syndicating Your Own Deals." Mobile/Manufactured Homes Merchandiser. (May, 1986).
"Legal Aspects: Sponsoring Your Own Syndication." Real Estate Magazine. (April 4, 1986).
"Legal Aspects: McGill V. American Land & Exploration Co., et al." Real Estate Magazine. (February 7, 1986).
"How to be a Real Estate Syndicator." Financial Services Times. (January, 1986).
"How to Sponsor a Real Estate Syndication." Financial Services Times. (January, 1986).
"Regulation D and Its Effect on Your Industry." Mobile/Manufactured Homes Merchandiser. (October, 1985).
"Laws and Orders: The Case of Lyons V. Shane." Real Estate Magazine. (August 23, 1985).
"Legal Aspects: The New Tax Reform Act of 1984." Real Estate Magazine. (July 27, 1984).
"Legal Aspects: Private Real Estate Syndications." Real Estate Magazine. (March 9, 1984).
"Changes in Illinois Securities Law Impact Real Estate Syndications." Real Estate Magazine. (December 9, 1983).